Re: BIRD FLEW THE COUP! I can't believe it!

> HI: I can believe it.  Actually Bird has a personality problem. He is
> better off with Indiana than dealing with Pitino and the people he brought
> with him. Without a doubt my favorite player, I really think he has a
> problem getting his message across. From what I read he had problems in
> college with his background and developed a complex. I think it still
> shows. Outside of his basketball physical skills, he has not been tested
> yet. If he keeps his rank, and distant personality, he'll self destruct. I
> hope not.
> Dan Forant
> >From: Colin Hall <colin@inet-direct.com>
> >Subject: BIRD FLEW THE COUP! I can't believe it!
> >
> >It is official Larry will sign with the Pacers.  I do not know about the
> >rest of you all but I feel betrayed and frustrated.  I wish I knew what
> >Bird's motives were...was it just to be a Coach, was it the money, unwilling
> >to work alongside Pitino, family obligations, part ownership, sick of
> >Boston, or loss of all Celtic Pride whatsoever???
> "danny3@capital.net"
> "A fortunate one"

I take Larry at his word.  He stated that he missed competition and he can't
find it on the golf course.  It is one of the problems with having a career
where you are retired when everyone else is just getting to their primes
in their career.  Most of us think it would be great to be retired at 40 but
for those with a competitive spirit, I assume it must be difficult.

Larry is NOT the first Celtic great to try his hand at coaching in another
town.  Cowens, Cousy, Sharman, KC and Russell have done it before him with Sharman
and KC having reasonable success.  I remember being hurt when Russell gave up
coaching and playing in Boston in one fell swoop only to resurface a few
years later with the Sonics.

I can understand Larry wanting to coach and I understand him not wanting to
coach in Boston.  He wants his legacy in Boston to be intact, not influenced
by whatever success he might or might not have as a coach.

I don't know if he has the personality to be a successful coach.  I have to say
that Dave Cowens demeanor as coach is WAY different than his as a player.  One
thing I know for sure.  he won't fail for lack of effort, caring, preparation
or will.  It does reamin to ber seen if he can be an effective communicator.

I hold great fondness for what Larry achieved as a player in Boston.  I respect
his ability to make his own decision for his life and wish him well.

Fred