Larry Bird personality

Recently I read some posts about Larry Bird and his personality.  While
I am glad he is not coaching the Celtics, and I do not think that he
will last a whole lot longer than Magic did as a coach, I believe this
is because of his competitive nature.  My observation is that coaches
who are very competitive as players, and then become coaches are not
successful.  Once Russel retired, he never prospered as a coach, also,
Chris Ford is a good example.  On the other hand Heinshon became a good
coach, as has Cownens.  But, Dave spent a long time coaching and working
as an administrator before he went into a head coaching job.

How will Bird deal with players who are talented but don't want to work.
George Karl used to take his team, I beleive the terrible Cavaliers, and
call team meetings to have them just watch Bird's shoot arounds.  He
then would ask them why is he MVP, All Pro, All Star, champion and out
practicing on his own every day and they suck and none of them work that
hard.  Larry will expect the same, but will not get it.

As far as his personality goes, he is very well accepted by his peers.
Last summer, I remember a day at the YMCA in Columbia when Xavier was
telling war stories.  He said, basically, that while Bird worked hard,
that after practice, game etc that Bird and McHale would hoist a few
cold ones in the locker room.  I looked shocked, and X said "Kirby, Bird
and McHale are cool man."  I questioned him and he affirmed that he
liked hanging out with Bird and McHale and that they both were cool.
That is a fine endorsement because Xavier lives a lot like his old
enforecer role and wants to test anyone to see what they are made of.
If he says Bird is cool and can relate to the kids, then a personality
disorder will not keep Bird from dealing with the players.

But, his dislike of laziness and desire to win will  not allow him to
stand watching the kids who do not understand the game and will not
work.

Just a thought.

Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net