Re: Is the season over?

At  8:30 PM 97.1.4 -0600, Dave Hughes wrote:
>Does anyone else think that Carr is waiting for the Celtic's record to
>be so bad that not even a great trade soon will ruin the standing in next
>year's draft?  Still, getting the top spot and drafting Duncan is not
>a given with the lottery system, so wasting this year may not pay off.
>
>Is there any other player out there besides Duncan that makes it
>necessary to waster this year?  I hope so, because if we don't get
>him, then not only will this year be a waste, but many years to come!
>
>Dave Hughes

Well said. The odds are 2 to 3 that we will fail to get Duncan, unless
there are some deals made with the other lottery picks at draft time. I
know little about the other draft picks but have read that Duncan is head
and shoulders above the other picks this year (true?). On the other hand,
the Celts don't have much else on the table these days; viz. 1) flexibility
with the cap, 2) a reputation that will draw good players, 3) owners with
deep pockets.

Actually I admit ignorance to the third point. The Peter May article that
was discussed in this newsgroup several weeks ago never made it to the
internet site so I haven't read it. I would be interested in hearing a
little more about what he said of the Gastons (and how he knows); why Peter
Mayu thinks they are being cheap, and more generally how an owner goes
about spend money to attract a player that doesn't involve restictions
imposed by the salary cap. I'd appreciate anyone who can shed some light on
these points.

- -Marc