Re: M.L.'s "style"

I saw the play you are talking about, and it was not that big of a deal.
It did not look like the clippers said anything about delay of game, but
instead were ragging on ML for the air ball.

As to delay of game, I don't believe you can have delay of game off of a
violation until the referee has given the ball to the players - its not
different than a player taking a shot after a foul call or getting called
for travelling.

As to ML being wrong for taking the shot, I really think he is entitled
to have a little fun.  I've seen NBA coaches take shots, steal the ball,
grab players, hold
players, taunt players, yell at referees, throw clip boards, chew on
towels, and even run out on the floor in the middle of a play.  ML is by
no means the first to goof off a little on the side-line, and he is doing
a very good job of keeping a down on its luck team playing with commitment
and sticking together.

Was Frank Layden a bad coach because he told jokes on the sidelines (to
fans and players during the game, half time, and time outs).  Was Jimmy
Rogers a good coach because he was serious all the time and rarely even
smiled on the side line?

I think way to much is being made of ML's antics.  The truth of the matter
is, he is giving the fans just about everything they could want this
year...an entertaining team that gives all it has on the floor and the
best possible chances of getting Tim Duncan.  Moreover, ML has positioned
himself to take or deflect almost all of the blame when things don't go
well.  He is getting paid well, but I don't know many people who would be
willing to take all the abuse he has in an effort to put the team in a
position to rebuild (and bash him all you want, but you cannot deny that
the teams future is much brighter sincce ML took over from Gavit).  ML may
have started out with no experience, and he may have made some mistakes,
but over the last year he has done a well above average job as coach and
GM on a team trying to rebuild.  There may be some out there who could
have done better, but I don't know how many of them could handle the heat
as well as ML has, and be willing to do it for the team.

Adam