Re: NBA Dumps Dunk Contest

>Yes the dunk contest lost its luster but I do believe they could have
>dusted it off and made it marquee once again. First make sure the top
>stars were participants as they were in the first years, add $$ bonuses
>for degrees of difficulties, height above the rim and originality etc.
>etc. Have a designated charity connected to each player and make them
>the recipients of all the moolah earned by the contestants.This is a
>stretch but even include a retired (In condition!!) ex NBA Dunker to
>participate to generate the "underdog lover" interest

I don't think it would be dusting it off, more like digging it out of a
pit, standing it up, and scraping the dirt off.  That contest was so old
and unoriginal it was sad.  The dunk contest came back in the early 80's,
with Dr. J doing the foul line leap.  Then we had Jordan and Dominique
doing things we'd NEVER seen before.  It was awesome and exciting.  Nobody
knew what to expect next.  Now, there is NOTHING original left.  Its all
been done before.  In addition, the NBA is so much showboat, I feel like a
dunk contest is unnecessary anyway.  More money?  Like I'm going to have
interest in watching guys with $100 MILLION CONTRACTS win a relative amount
of change?  I don't mean to sound harsh, and I appreciate your ideas to
revive a dying tradition, but just let it go.  That dog had its day, and
its time to put it to sleep.

Matt