Re: What Pitino is Really Saying

At 2:37 PM +0000 97.4.6, Steve Chomicz wrote:
> I've read every article about this issue that i get my sweaty shaky
> hands on.
>

> 1)  Pitino says No but will think about it.  This means  Show me the
> Money!

No -- I don't think it is that simple. Pitino has been offered money
elsewhere. He talks about how he wants to win and how he doesn't need to be
sold on the Celtics tradition. Maybe I am naive, but I don't accept the
purely cynical spin on all this.

> 2)  Pitino sees that Bird has no place in the celtic structure at
> present.  He says if he went to the celtics it would have to be with
> Larry having a key role. This means "Gaston, having larry contact me
> is not enough. You need to reorganize the deadwood.  Apparently there
> is soo much that bird gets frustrated talking about it.  Clean it out,
> Give the club to larry and i and you got a deal."

This sounds reasonable. Larry and Pitino may be teaming up to force
Gaston's hand; i.e. both of us or nothing (i.e. ML)

> 3)  Pitino says he will come to boston April 7 for a  book signing.
> "I'm in town Gaston, get bird and lets talk turkey"

Maybe -- Boston sells a lot of books you know. If Bird is in town at the
same time I might believe it.

> 4)  "ML who????"

Uh... yeah, what's-his-name.... But come on, Carr's a decent guy -- give
him a role.

> 5)" I got the celtics, the #1 and #5 pick, larry bird and the money.
> Yes, yes,yes, all the way to the bank and #17 championship!!! Good bye
> kentucky."

All that and Samuel Adams beer on tap. If it was me I'd know what to do.

- -Marc