Re: What Pitino is Really Saying

a few people from either the celtics email list or this news group
privately emailed me about the money issue.  They state that money
will not move pitino.

This is my response:

The first rule of business is money is always the issue. Every person
has their price.  We like to think we are above prostituting ourselves
but unfortunately its not true. The second rule is nobody ever has
enough money.  Hence, everybody is for sale.

Pitino is the one who decides what his price is to make him leave
kentucky.  A five year contract of $25 or $30 million may seem like a
lot to you and me but we aren't the ones deciding.  The decision
factor hinges on what price will Pitino accept the not so perfect job.
Apparently, New Jersey and Atlanta did not offer him enough to
consider giving up what he had.

Does this mean that it will take more money for boston to attract him.
Not necessarily. It means he has to weigh the positives and negatives.
If the positives outweigh the negatives the money does not have to be
megabucks.  But if the negatives outweigh the positives, the money
will have to be megabucks.  The $64,000 question is, how many millions
are required TO MAKE Pitino move out of kentucky.  Only he knows the
answer.  And quite possibly, Gaston doesn't have the money to make it
happen or doesn't feel Pitino is worth the expense if the celtics
negatives outweigh the positives.

Here's hoping Bird and Pitino find a way to make the positives
outweigh the negatives.

- -steve
The Boston Celtics will hang banner #17 in the FleetCenter by 2001!
You Can't Keep A Good Leprechaun Down forever...
http://www.tiac.net/users/ChomS/celtics.html

With the #1 Pick, the Boston Celtics Select....  Tim Duncan!