Re: Dallas Pick

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:40:44 -0500,Noah Evans wrote:

><bold>Jerry allan Lawson,jlawson@mail.sdsu.edu,Internet writes:
>
></bold><x-quoted>Todd Day...</x-quoted>
>

>I'm afraid Todd won't be with us much longer. If we wished to keep him =
as a restricted free agent we would have to give him a raise(he already =
makes 2.9mil).=20

Hi all,
	I'm a little confused about this.  If the Celtics decide not
to renounce Day (i.e. keep their rights to sign him under the Larry
Bird exception, even though his 2.9 million would continue to count
against the salary cap), does this mean that they have to give him a
raise?  If they could resign him for ...say 1 million, would the
salary cap be refigured?
	Conversely, if they renounce his rights, can they still sign
him later, to a lower amount (even thought, this would come out of any
money's that they could potentially use to sign another free agent?
	I suspect that Todd will be faced with a crossroads at the end
of the season.  he can accept a moderate contract (1 million per
year), and be a career backup somewhere, or he can go the Walt
Williams route and play for minimum, on a 1 year contract and try for
big money next year.

Bill Cooper