Re: Pete's situation

Collins apparently was at home in Switzerland when this happened. I gather from the one news story that appeared through Google news search is that his lawyers had a word with the Swiss police, who issued an official statement that he was not on the list of suspects and was not being investigated. Try getting Scotland Yard to make a statement like that!
I'm not always good to recall details, but I thought I read that he wasn't at home, but was in Cannes. So Collins looked out the window and called his lawyers to get them cleared off, eh?

Without diminishing the victims, it does bother me that there is an attitude - even expressed by Roger, along with People Magazine, etc. - that IF the person turns out to be guilty, then all the hounding by the press and publicity in the meantime is fair game and deserved. That is, its alright to harass them like this before they are even questioned or tried. Problem is, who the hell appointed the media judge, jury, and executioner?
This is definitely alarming, and apparently there's not much to do in the way of redress. Someone posted the story of a paediatrician who was attacked because a mob misunderstood the name of the profession. I think there's a similar trend in the US, and I'm not sure I like the idea of making sex offenders register so people will know who they are and thus persecute them.

keets