Re: Encore Series Mansfield II Clicks

> You get the feeling his rig isn't set up for the sort of athletic
> bass playing The Who in concert demands.

No, not at all.  First of all "rig" implies his amplifier & amp head
which have nothing to do with the clicking noises.

Pino's not a heavy duty, meat & potatoes bass player.  He plucks light-
ly.  So, in order to get a bigger sound he keeps his guitar pick-ups
very close to his strings.  You can adjust the pick-ups, you see.

Now, I don't know if that's the way he's always played, or if it was a
decision only for the 2002 Who tour.

Anyway, generally, you won't hear the clicks when you're at the show.
The amplification & amp settings can hide them.  BUT.....soundboard
recordings, which usually involve direct inputs, will easily pick them
up.

Soundboard recording are ruthless; any vocal flubs, or guitar farts come
out loud & clear.  And afterwards, that's it,.....they're there.  You
can't get rid of them via any kind of mastering, mixing, or hocus-pocus.

> Perhaps if he plays on another tour with them, he'll have had a look at
> this sort of problem and made some alterations.

Perhaps,....if they're going make the soundboard recordings available like
on the 2002 tour.  But, remember, for the most part, one doesn't hear the
bass clicks while attending the actual show.

Of course, one could argue that you could barely hear *any* of Pino's bass
sound at most of the 2002 shows, much less the clicking noises.

- SCHRADE in Akron