Re: Roger & Pete as Heroes

> This has been interesting. Of course, a few folks have checked in
> with > "Oh, wonderful!" but the biggest single response so far is
> silence.

It's great news, but really, how excited are we supposed to get?  As
Who freaks, we've known for years that Roger's a decent, caring, help-
ful bloke.  For him to finally be acknowledged for his kind nature in
the year 2003 is a bit anticlimactic.  But cheers to Roger anyway,
right?

> A couple of posters have actually come out as incensed or disgruntled
> because Roger was named and not Pete. This makes me think that it's
> the old split between Roger and Pete fans showing up again.

You're probably right.  Poor Rog is sometimes viewed as a simple dunder-
head while Pete is seen as the hard-working genius.  I've bitched on this
forum before about the general "rock public's" sometimes disparaging
view of Roger Daltrey ("Pete Townshend's cool but what's up with that
Roger Daltrey?"), so I'm not surprised some people are having the reac-
tion: "What about Pete?"

Maybe you're right, Keets.  Perhaps we should be a bit more excited about
Roger getting this recognition.  Spread the word, I guess: Roger's a hero.
Always has been.

> What would the response be if Pete had been named instead of Roger?
> Anybody care to speculate?

Among the general public, more pedophile jokes.  Among some Who fans, con-
firmation that Pete is indeed the second coming of the Lord.  Among other
Who fans, insane jealousy that kind-hearted Roger was overlooked again.

LONG LIVE ROGER DALTREY!!  THE HEART OF THE WHO!!

- SCHRADE in Akron