Re: New Daltrey VH1 interview

> > VH1: Some say the hardest thing about being a rock star is
> > maintaining a marriage. You've had a fairly successful relationship as far as the rock world is concerned. How do you keep it together?

No mention here of the first marriage, or why it failed? And how is is
his 2nd marriage only fairly successful?
The interviewer has asked these questions, and I don't know if you can blame Roger for not addressing the ommissions. If you're asking for opinions, I'd say the first marriage failed from lack of committment. Didn't Roger marry the lady because she was pregnant? So there's wasn't much choice in the matter, and a pretty rough ride. When The Who took off, they weren't even living together, were they? Wasn't Roger living in a van? And BTW, was that the same vehicle the band used to travel to gigs?

As for "fairly successful," I think the interviewer is taking into account the fact that Roger has been clearly unfaithful in his marriage, even though it has held together.

> > The only reason to get married is to have children.

Not exactly my understanding of the "reason" for marriage. At least, not if the woman's father doesn't have a shotgun pointed at you.
It's often a woman's reason for wanting to marry, and something that men have to deal with. After getting out of the first marriage, you'd think Roger might have wanted to just live with a girlfriend rather than marry again, but actually, it looks like he wanted a family. And, he's turned out to be very loyal to his wife, regardless of the indiscretions.

Why didn't the interviewer ask "So Roger, while you've been out there
doing it, who's your wife been sleeping with"?
This interviewer might not have thought of it, but others have. Roger's response was that she was free to do it, but that he didn't want to know about it.

LB