Songs and energy

Ive always tried to dramatize the lyrics, so I live those words every night I sing them. If I dont do that, Ive failed. With Townshends songs, you cant cheat. Thats why the energy stays up, because the songs are about subjects that just demand that. If you cant deliver it, theyll fall as flat as a pancake.
Roger's comment on this has stuck in my mind. Is this just Roger's philosophy, or is this what makes Townshend's songs take on life? Do they fall flat when there's no energy behind them?

keets