Old And In The Way

Look, I AM old:-)

John:

Yeah, yeah...you're a FEW years older than I am. That's all. It's hardly
something you can blame me for. Take it up with my dad's sex drive.

8 track? A toy for kids when they emerged in the UK. I'd bought the
entire Who catalogue on vinyl by then.

They came out 1 year after the first Who album, perhaps less. I know my
wife's dad bought a 1966 Ford Galaxy with an 8-Track in it. And if things
were then as they are now, that means most of the `66 cars were manfactured
in 1965. And you couldn't play vinyl in a car.
Can't tell you if they had any Who on 8-Track at the time, but the machines
existed anyway.

Sorry Mark, they (and I ) were working class. I never found much to be
happy about being working class - ice on the inside of my bedroom window
in winter, but British working class were emphatically not what I see
portrayed on tv as white trash in the States.

You paint a pretty good picture of what's considered "white trash" over
here. "There's a crack up on the ceiling/And the kitchen sink is leaking/Out
of work and got no money/Sunday joint to bread and honey/What are we living
for/Two roomed apartment on the second floor..."
The term came from the more elite whites who were searching for a word to
use for whites who lived on the same socio-economic level as blacks, which
(at the time) was pretty durn low. It has changed over the years to what one
might find on the Jerry Springer show, or the Dukes Of Hazzard perhaps (I'm
still unhappy that they shipped that one over to Merry Old).
But come ON now John! You can't go by what you see on TV!

And I suspect the working class (if there be such an animal) in America
would not wish to be defined as white trash, either.

No one would, but my point would be anyone who might care to label someone
thusly isn't worth bothering with. They're cunts, I tell ya! Cunts the lot
of them!

"The new President of The United States is
    what I would call a cunt "
              Pete Townshend

               Cheers                 ML