Let me put this in very simple terms so you can understand

> Actually, I do that quite regularly at basketball practices with no knee
> >pads, bare knees (cause I'm in shorts), and I actually dive head first
> after
> >a basketball with someone else trying for it as well.  I have never been
> >injured doing this, beyond some knee scrapes and a few bruises.  And I do
> it
> >much more often than Pete would be doing it if he did it every concert
> (since
> >this year's concert total will be 23 as of now).  I'm not saying he SHOULD
> do
> >it again, but as much jumping as he does, i guarantee that does more damage
>
> >to the knee than even the most aggressive slide- especially with knee pads
> >and a reliable slide.  Now if the stage surface isn't conducive to a slide,
>
> >that's another story.
> >
> >mc
>
> Ok, I tried, but I can't help myself.  I am weak (where did I hear that
> again???).
> This is about the most mind-numbing post I've ever read.

You mean since the last one I wrote that you failed to comprehend?

> So, how is it that you land on your knees again when you dive for a
> ,.......what was it......oh YEAH a basketball..... HEAD FIRST???????
> *THAT's* quite a trick!!!!!!
> Man, I've been playing hoops for years, and diving for balls for years, and
> could never dive head first and land on my knees.

Exactly where in my post did i say i LANDED on my knees.  Obviously you've
been landing on your head.  When one lays out for a loose ball, one's whole
body lands on the floor, and since the knees are usually slightly flexed,
they usually take a good portion of the contact with the surface.  This might
be why our knees get scraped up and black and blue from diving on the floor.
In addition, players don't always run after the ball, often it's loose very
near them, so we sometimes drop straight to the floor to get it and do land
directly on the knees with NO slide.  Does that clarify things?

> Oh, and let me *fully* understand you're "logic"......
> You are "guaranteeing" that it is more damaging to the knee to *just* jump,
> than it is to jump, *and then* crash down on said knees with such force as
> to slide all the way across the stage.

Obviously the slide takes much of the impact away from the "crashing down" on
the knees.  Pete does numerous jumps throughout a show, and the constant
impact as he lands each time is clearly more damaging over the long term than
one slide/leap accross the stage per show.  Ask any orthopedist or athletic
trainer.  One might bruise the knees with the "leap," but the constant
landing on the feet after aggressive jumps with the added weight of a guitar
can do damage to the cartilage in the knee.

> Oh, OOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!! And how do knee pads and a "reliable slide" (what ever
> the hell that is) contribute more to damaging the knee??????

Exactly where did I say knee pads and a reliable slide contributed MORE to
damaging the knee?  I clearly stated that the JUMPS he does throughout the
show do more damage to the knee than his slide leaps BECAUSE he would be
wearing knee pads and the slide takes much of the impact away from the
landing because the friction with the stage surface is spread out.  The term
"reliable" slide refers to the stage surface (as i pointed out in my original
post but I'm repeating it again since you're having trouble comprehending)
and how conducive it is to sliding.  Some surfaces are better for it than
others.  For example, I tried such a slide on out stage at school 5 weeks ago
and my left knee caught a spot that wasn't slippery and it took some black
paint off the surface.  It left a black streak on the knee area of my jeans.
The surface was therefore "unreliable."

> Shite!  I fell for it again.
> I forgot you just like to argue even when obviously, *AND I MEAN OBVIOUSLY*,
> are wrong.

I wasn't arguing, just participating in a discussion with majik, but thanks
for joining in.  It always makes things interesting. I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT
PETE SHOULD START SLIDING AGAIN, just commenting that if he can still do such
aggressive jumps, he could probably still do the slide if he wanted to.

mc