Re: Pete, Real Me, and Psycho-D

>Ah, now I see my statement that :
>"TheWho-> is a necessary evil the in the mind and life of Townshend"
>validified!!
>
>What? Does a macho, train wreck, bulldog approach to every song
>immediately give validity to it, especially if a has-been Tom Jones
>wanna-be sings it as if it were "Dreaming From The Waist?"

What's this about?  Criticism of PSYCHODERELICT?

Kevin's justified in having an opinion, and in picking apart the songs.  I'm
looking at the entire project when I say it's a masterpiece, but if we got
right down to it, I could pick it apart, too.  Nothing's ever perfect.

When we start talking about weaknesses, I thought the grid references were
over-emphasized and maybe even out of place.  It's easy to follow except for
that, which requires some familiarity with Pete's Lifehouse project.  It did
tie in nicely with (spider) web imagery, though, meaning a trap.

It would actually be interesting to go through PD song by song and look at
the meanings.

>I embrace the sensitive compostions and performances of Pete's.
>
>Would you prefer "Squeeze Box?"
>
>Why do so many of the masses identify with music that "rocks" or is
>performed and composed with that "penis extension" motif that has
>become so boring.
>
>Limited musical vocabulary and appreciation abilities??

I wonder myself why soft rock is out of fashion these days.  There is some
tremendous social commentary in soft rock from the sixties and seventies
that is becoming obscure.  Maybe it has something to do with recent movement
like punk and grunge, where fans (and critics) have gotten the idea that
only harshly presented material has any substance.

> > and that line in the
> > sex song, you make me quite "erectable"?  gimme a break- that's weak.

I thought that was cute and playful.  It's the contrasts that make this
album a masterpiece.

>Stronger than anything Daltrey has done in 26 years.

Try "Blues Man's Road" or "Everything a Heart Could Ever Want."  PD stands
exceptionally well as a concept piece, but if you start cutting individual
songs out for analysis and comparison, you may have some problems in
justifying them.

>Can't handle the concept factor wherein a character portrays a
>part in a thematic storyline that doesn't have a barechested poseur?

That has nothing to do with it.  The woman is presented as a witch, so her
voice is appropriate.  Most of the characters are unattractive in some way,
and their grating quality is the counterpoint to Pete's sweet songs.

>"Psychoderelict" is unquestionably, IMO, and that of many others,
>Townshend's "Holy Grail."

That doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

keets