Re: Rereleases

Scott,

re:

> Honestly, most WHO fans don't give a monkey's which "version" they're
> listening to.  That's not to say they wouldn't notice a difference;
they're just
> more concerned with the *music* rather than the *sound.*

Well generally 'me too.'  I'm not an audiophile, I don't have an expensive
stereo.  But I'd rather listen to something that sounds good than something
that sounds bad.

> And, no, a stereo CD release of AQO would *not* make the throngs stand
> up & shout, "Oh my God!  This is so much better than what we've been
listen-
> ing to all these years!"

Well, they might not shout, but the difference is rather glaring when
compared side by side.

>  Most of us got hooked on THE WHO in the days of
> scratchy vinyl records or hissy cassette tapes.  We're not expecting the
ultimate,
> best-sounding WHO CD's nor do we *deserve* it.

Why don't we deserve it?  As a consumer, I expect the best product possible
for my money, not inferior shit.  If it is inferior, I go elsewhere, and
bootleggers/private collectors/whoever has the music end up making the money
instead of the artist.  That's obviously the way the band prefers it, so....

> You seem to think that you (& other WHO fans) are somehow getting cheated
> or short-changed because not all of the CD re-releases have met your
expec-
> tations.

Not exactly, I think the 'powers that be' or idiots for not doing it right.

> You feel bad for all of us sad fucks who will never get to appreciate the
> WHO's music the way *you* think it should be presented.

Nah, I really couldn't care less--I just get bored with the 'hooray for
everything' attitude many fans have.  Honestly, it gets to be a bit like
dealing with Trekkies sometimes.

> Amazingly, we don't really care how the music is presented.  We just wanna
dance!

So you don't care how the music sounds.  Gotcha.

> Sure, we'd like to hear 'em, but I've got no problem with 'em being left
off of
> QUAD.  Bonus tracks would seem odd & invasive on QUAD (& TOMMY
> for that matter); so in this sense, I'm glad they were left off.

Yeah, and isn't it great how they've been released elsewhere?  8-/

 > For fuck's sake, I got a wish list, too!  Sure, there's all kinds of shit
I'd like to see
> released.  But that fact that it isn't (yet) does *not* make me feel
cheated or
> short-changed.  You seem to believe that because this stuff exists, we
should have
> it.  That's wrong.  THE WHO owe us nothing!

How do you think they've made a living all these years.  Could it
be--selling music to people like us?

> *Of course* the reissue series isn't perfect!  Don't be silly!  It's just
that only *you*
> & a handful of others were expecting something "perfect."  And, yes, that
*is*
> too much to ask for.

Something better would have been nice.

> Like Jimmy said in the QUAD movie after giving all that change to Harry in
the
> poker game:  "You take it or leave it, my friend.  TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!"

I guess I'll take the bootlegs....