Re: Rereleases

I know we're on the verge of beating this into the ground & keets has told us
to shut up (thought I was going to get sent to my room without supper there
for a minute!), but I must say, I'm enjoying the arguement.

> I'm not an audiophile, I don't have an expensive
> stereo.  But I'd rather listen to something that sounds good than something
> that sounds bad.

(deep breath)  OK, *you* think some of the re-releases sound awful & you were
expecting better.  *I* acknowledge that there are shortcomings but think they're
passable & still able to be enjoyed.

> Why don't we deserve it?  As a consumer, I expect the best product possible
> for my money, not inferior shit.

What world are you living in?  Good luck with that!  Be prepared for a lifetime
of disappointment.

> If it is inferior, I go elsewhere, and
> bootleggers/private collectors/whoever has the music end up making the money
> instead of the artist.  That's obviously the way the band prefers it, so....

I buy both the boots & the official releases.

> Nah, I really couldn't care less--I just get bored with the 'hooray for
> everything' attitude many fans have.  Honestly, it gets to be a bit like
> dealing with Trekkies sometimes.

God, I hope you're not calling me a Trekkie.  I could easily make a nice,
long list of things about THE WHO that I think suck.  Don't you dare call
me a goddamned Trekkie, OK?

> How do you think they've made a living all these years.  Could it
> be--selling music to people like us?

Then you know what you should do?  You should sue Jon Astley.  Take him
to court.  Sue Pete, too.  You've obviously been wronged & have experienced
much duress.  How dare they release inferior versions of your....I mean *their*
....music?

You could explain to the judge that you demand perfection in the products
you buy.  You will not stand for something that does not meet your expecta-
tions.

You were promised remastered, better-sounding WHO releases & did not get
them.  Therefore, you were forced to buy much more expensive bootlegs in
order to receive the product you demanded.

"Pete & Jon Astley have been criminally negligent in there handling of the remaster
series, & therefore, your honor, I demand reparations be made immediately!"

"I'm a *true* fan, dammit!!  I'm not a Trekkie, your honor!!  Can't you see the
harm that's been done?!  'Time Is Passing' was missing an entire guitar track!!"

"And it was done on purpose, your honor.  I contend they *knew* they were
releasing inferior quality product.  They *knew* the stereo tapes to A QUICK
ONE existed but, your honor, they didn't use them!"

"Your honor, surely if we can recall thousands of poorly made car tires, then
surely, too, this court has the authority to right a great wrong, & recall every
last poorly produced WHO re-issue."

"Your honor, think of the children.  The younger fans who might buy these re-
issues & never know the true glory of THE WHO's music.  Your honor, one
of those children may be your young daughter.  Should *she* be subjected to
NoNoise without her knowledge?  Of course not.  Why something like that
would be criminal, wouldn't it, your honor?"

"And finally, let me reiterate, your honor, unlike some of the witnesses who have
testified, *I* am a *true* WHO fan, not a WHO Trekkie.  Who else but a *true*
fan could be so openly critical?  Who else but a *true* fan could so easily see the
faults of these re-issues?  Who else but a *true* fan would dare take Pete to task
for his negligence?  Who else but a *true* fan would would wage war against
an army of Trekkies who passively sit idle while our precious WHO music is
purposely rendered unlistenable?"

"But make no mistake.  This is not about *me,* your honor.  It's about the music.
The integrity & quality of THE WHO's music.  I seek no glory, your honor.
It's a difficult cross to bear, standing here in this courtroom, opening people's
eyes & ears to the fact that they're being manipulated, lied to, & cheated.  This
is not about *me* at all, your honor."

Bollocks.

- SCHRADE in Akron