Re: Rereleases

Mark,

re:

> I also don't know what Jon R. is listening to them on, or Rich
either...but on my stereo, they
> sound great.

To clarify, I was speaking mainly of Pete's solo releases, like the Avatar
set, that sound like utter crap, although the BBC Sessions sounds like shit
compared to the Max. BBC boot.  In terms of the Who remasters, some are
great, like Quad and Sell Out, others a total disaster, like AQO and Who Are
You, although for different reasons.  AQO because if the inferior mono
masters--those who haven't heard this record in stereo don't know what
they're missing--and Who Are You because of sloppiness and unnecessary
changes.  For example, everytime I hear 'Trick of the Light', it just jumps
out at me that Roger's 'Come on tell me' line is totally missing.  I miss
hearing it.  So I play the old version, instead.

Of course, there are many other mess ups, like the missing channel on 'Time
is Passing'.  Thankfully, Luke P. fixed that himself for all to enjoy.

I think what I and others find irritating is that a little bit of quality
control would go a long way.  Yes, it is great that the remasters were put
out and are on the whole an improvement, but with a little bit of extra
effort, it could have been a whole lot better.  I mean, is there any Who fan
who wouldn't have like to hear 'Bank Holiday' and 'Wizardry' the two bonus
tracks that Astley decided not to include on the Quad remaster?  Wouldn't it
have been nice to hear the extra lead guitar track on 'Goin' Mobile' on the
Who's Next reissue, or the extended versions of my wife and Baba O'Riley?
How about the longer version of 'Join Together' that Entwistle wanted to put
on the original Odds and Sods LP?  What about the band version of 'Blue Red
and Grey' that no one bothered to ask Glynn Johns if he retained a copy, or
the other outtakes from WBN?  How about the tracks off Who's Missing/Two's
Missing/Rarities that haven't been reissued?  How about the lack of a
substantial amount of live material from the Moon-era Who?

Nah, I guess the reissue series is perfect, and we have all the stuff we'd
like to hear available in perfect fidelity.  NOT!