Re: the 'oo by numbers

> so, what does everyone think about The Who by numbers?
>
> i think it is a great album ,just as great as anything else they have done .
>
> =andrew

I hate to represent the "I-Hate-By Numbers" group because I don't hate any Who
album, even "Who's Last."  But I've never been able to really warm up to this
album for a variety of reasons.  Here they are.  Please remember MY WHO MAY NOT
BE YOUR WHO!:

1) "Squeeze Box" would have to top the list.  It's the only Who song, period,
that I skip when I come to it.  The only thing I've ever enjoyed about this song
is that when they did it live, Pete, Roger and John used to rock their hips back
and forth during the "in and out and in and out" part.  Otherwise, not only the
worst Who song, but one of the worst of the Seventies and that's saying a lot.

2) That banjo.  What is a banjo doing in a song as bleak as "However Much I
Booze?"  I can barely tolerate it in "I've Had Enough" but up front it almost
reduces the song to a joke.

3) Overcrowded lyric structure.  I don't really mind this but everyone brings it
up when dissing Face Dances and It's Hard and there are examples here just as
egregious as any there.  "Dreaming From The Waist?"

4) The lyrics are blastingly angry and despairing.  But compared to earlier
efforts, much of the music here seems practically laid-back.  Tempo, tempo!

That's enough.  I can't stand to run down The Who.  So good points:  "Slip Kid"
is as good as anything they've ever done.  "Success Story" is John at his
wittiest.  "How Many Friends" should be played for anyone who doubts Roger's
abilities as a singer.

			-Brian in Atlanta