More on Buddy, Chuck, Beatles and The WHO!

>You are correct about Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.  True founding fathers.  I
>just didn't feel they created the avalanche.

I can almost agree to that, except that McCartney, for one has stated
explicitly that he started writing songs because Buddy Holly had.  The
Beatles were the next step in the evolution of rock from Buddy Holly.  I
wouldn't be surprised if they were his illigimate sons.  Actually, I think
that most bands in the early sixties who wrote their own material did it not
because the Beatles did it, but because Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Bo
Diddley, Carl Perkins and Eddie Cochran did it.  They weren't imitaating the
Beatles or Brian Wilson so much as they simply shared the same influences.
now, the second wave of the british invasion might be a different story.

> About "I Can See For Miles"
>     1.  PT uses a one note lead through the whole song and in my mind it
>works. Very shrewd for a power chord bloke.

True, but I think Neil Young does the same thing more effectively on Cinamon
Girl.

>     2.  During the bridge Moon's drums sound like machine gun fire.  I don't
>think it is humanly possible to play any faster.  but I am not a drummer.

It is.  Keith did it on "A Quick One" and "I Can't Explain"

>I am not trying to change your opinion about the song.  I have tried in the
>past to talk to my friends about some of these things and I can see their
>eyes glaze over.  Just sharing my own likes.

Hey, to each his own.  I love comparing notes about artists and songs.  My
brother likes ELP, I think they sound like Moose mating calls.  I love
Jethro Tull, my girlfriend hates them.  Still, we discuss the whys and why
nots (and sometimes it doesn't lead to an argument)

I love the Who, I've just never cared for ICSFM.  To me it's rather a silly
song... now, Mary Anne With A Shakey Hand, that's powerful poetry that is!

Seriously, I have a question to throw onto the floor so that everyone can
step on it... The Who are well regarded to be the greatest live band of all
time (and I will agree to that) so why did no producer ever just hook them
up for a live "in the studio" recording session.  The Who (especially
Entwistle) are always complaining that their live sound was never really
captured on their studio LPs... Wouldn't this pretty much solve that
problem?  That's how Jason & The Scorchers did it, Jethro Tull was known to
do it, and now John Hiatt is doing it to capture his live sound for a studio
album.  Why did nobody ever try it with the Who?
|                                                 |
|     Go on a horror hayride with Webb Wilder,    |
|     the last of the Full Grown Men, at:         |
| http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/5540 |
|  Punkabilly?  Meet the fathers of alternative   |
|  Country, Jason & The Scorchers, at:            |
|     http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3301     |