Re: Music Must Change

On Wed, 1 May 1996 DylansMuse@aol.com wrote:

> As you say, the medium of rock has changed.  Much as I love the old records,
> if rock ever stops evolving, it will probably die.  That's why artists like
> Pete are so vital.  Jerry Garcia once called him "one of the true architects
> of rock."  If Pete can't communciate as effectively through the medium of
> rock in his middle years, I have no doubt that he will continue to redefine
> its boundaries.

He's been trying, but with a smaller audience listening to him it's
harder to effect change.  Tommy was considered an evolution in
rock when it was released because a) it was different, and b) it sold
well.  If White City, Iron Man or PsychoDerelict had been heard by as
many people as Tommy they would also have been considered revolutionary
in trying to expand the opera and theatre links to rock.

> That he's going to be 51 in a couple of weeks doesn't dampen my enthusiasm;

That would, I imagine be a sentiment shared by everyone on this list, but
we have to remember that the opinions expressed on the list do not
necessarily reflect those prevalent in the real world.  I far prefer
listening to Pete over Pulp or Oasis (who I wouldn't mind nearly as much
if the singer didn't sound so bloody whiney) but I realize I am in the
minority.  From the standpoint of one of his fans, his mini tour sounds
like it is some of his best performances, but from the point of view of
someone who is not a fan (say a critic who is paid to be cynical) these
shows could very easily be considered self-indulgent, arrogant ego trips
put on by an over the hill old fogey.  When one of these people gets
their review printed lots more people listen to the opinion than were
even at the show, so a large number of people are turned off an will have
formulated their own opinion without having even heard the performance.

> I honestly feel that Pete is at his peak as a singer, composer, and musician

I would agree with singer & musician, as would probably ten thousand other
Pete fans, but just because 10,000 people like what he's doing and think
it's of some importance or relevance, doesn't mean it's generally
considered relevant by the masses.  Being 21, I would say I'm well below
the median age of the average Who fan, and there's no way I can see a lot
of people I know who are my age really 'getting' the Who or Pete (must be
due to the attention span of a 3 year old spawned by too much TV & 120bpm
dance music so prevalent today)

As long as Pete's putting out decent material (no I won't buy the Pete
Townshend farting album that was suggested last year) I'll be buying it,
relevant or not, so in the narrower, sense for me personally it really
doesn't matter if it's relevant, I'll still buy it, though it would
be nice to see him get some much deserved recognition and record sales.