Re: Who & Sgt Pepper

WFang writes:
>I'm glad to see you focused in on that part of my response, rather than
>everything else I said! You did say something previously to the effect
>that "'Sgt Pepper' influenced everyone at the time..."

I didn't say that (someone else did), but I would agree with it -- if by
"everyone" you mean everyone of importance in the rock world of 1967.

>Well, it didn't influence me,

That's very surprising, considering all that you have contributed to
popular music. Did you give the album that one listen during the summer
of 1967?

>and I'm sure it didn't influence a lot of people... My main point was
>that by that time, Pete and The Who were off heading in their own
>direction...

Of course they were, but that doesn't prevent them from being influenced
by others (which is not the same thing as "copying" others -- that's a
word you brought into the conversation). If Pete could be influenced by
punk when he was 35, then I don't see why he wouldn't be influenced by
The Beatles when he was 22.