Re: various items

Kevin, re:

>>> I've heard muzak versions of A Little Is Enough, Let My Love Open The
Door, Athena, You Better You Bet, and (if you can believe it) Join Together.

     I can see maybe "Athena", but "Join Together"?   I still think the muzak
version of "Happy Jack" takes the cake.

>>> It may not be PC to believe in the Social Contract (Rousseau, right?), but
I think that it really applies here.  Hopefully, we won't need a "police
action" - just some self-restraint.  Gary, no one is talking about censoring.
What we're *asking* is that everyone exercise a little of what used to be
called Netiquette in the spirit of making this list more accessible and less
hostile.  Perhaps Mark's example of someone screaming "FIRE" in a crowded
theater was inaccurate.  Think perhaps of the situation where you are sitting
in an audience listening to a pianist play a solo piece, and someone nearby is
blathering about the auto worker's strike in loud tones. No one is saying that
person has no right to speak, they're only requesting that they leave the room
so that everyone else can concentrate and enjoy the subject at hand. "My
rights end where yours begin" is not a concrete, quantifiable statement. It is
an agreement to mutually respect the rights of those around you, in order for
your rights to be respected.

     You know, I've had quite a number of interesting discussions concerning
this issue, both publicly and privately (and I suspect I will have more, via
private E-mail -- thanks, Alan).   Just about all of it has been positive.
Some exchanges had a rough start -- and for the record I have apologised to
Stacey and we have made up  :)  ... my intentions were not to insult her in
front of the list;  sometimes the heat goes up when one is as passionate about
a subject as I am about censorship.  And I understand that what we are really
talking about is self-restraint.  But let's face it -- sometimes the waters
are gonna get rough.  Right or wrong, even the members of the Who came to
blows with one another.  There is a lot of gray area between "compromise" and
"tolerance". I think ultimately one has to understand ones' intentions.

>>>  When I want to get knocked out, I'll flop my Decca LP on the turntable
and *crank* it!

     I got the UK Polydor version on vinyl, with all the inserts, and RED
print, instead of blue.... and the custom label with the warning "crackles
OK -- do NOT correct!).... I love that package!!

                gary maiullo

DON'T JUST VOTE -- VOTE LIBERTARIAN!