Re: LAL recording techniques

WFang,
   Yea, but the thing is, like Ken Traub said in his post, the amps are an
>esential< part of the guitar sound.  By recording the sound after
amplification, you get the "character" of the player's particular set-up.
Some with sharp ears could probably even tell you there's a difference in the
sound depending on what kind of speakers are in the cabinets- amp makers don't
proudly advertise the speakers they use ("Only vintage Celestions, for that
classic sound!") for nothing.
   There are actually "speaker emulators" now, for those who want to record
straight in, like you say; these boxes attempt to artificially reproduce the
character of miked speaker cabinets, while allowing you to enjoy the advantages
of recording straight in.  Heck, I've even seen recording pre-amps, that allow
you to emulate an entire amplifier rig without one, while recording straight-in.
But unless I'm mistaken, I think these are all relatively recent developments.
And the recorded guitar sound just won't be right without what the speakers add
to the sound- unless you're the Buzzcocks!

                                                             M.M.