Re: Gay Who Fans

In a message dated 96-03-18 22:54:27 EST, mconte@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
(Marc V Conte) writes:

>On a related note, how many gay Who fans are out there?

Besides myself, I have only met 1 other gay person who has heard of "Iron
Man".   I figure if you've heard of (and like) Iron Man, you've got to be a
real "Who" fan.  (Anyone can say I like "Who's Next", etc.  but only "fans"
would say they own Iron Man.)

I have found a lot of the talk about the gender of Who fans and people at JAE
concerts interesting.
Being a resident of San Francisco, I am very used to being in crowds of men.
 However, it was pretty uh, "queer" to be in a huge group of (mostly) men at
the JAE concert in SF and thinking "Jeez!, this place is full of Hets!"

As a gay man, I've always related to both Jimmy in Quad and Tommy.  There has
been some great posts to this list recently about what Quad is all about and
although most people probably can't or won't relate to what I have to say
about it, here is a bit of a Queer perspective on Quadrophenia:

DISCLAIMER:  What I am about to say does not necessarily represent my beliefs
on the meaning of  Quadrophenia or Tommy.  It’s just something to think about
“for a moment”..

Imagine that Quadrophenia is a story about an adolescent who doesn’t feel he
fits into society.  To get to the point, imagine Jimmy as a homosexual trying
to figure out who he really is (The Real Me).  Jimmy trying to fit in with
the “fashions” and his “mates” and yet not fitting in (Cut My Hair, The Dirty
Jobs),  A sense of pride (I’m One),  Feeling that the world is caving in on
you (Drowned, Helpless Dancer -- “If you complain you disappear Just like the
lesbians and queers”),  Self-doubt (Is It In My Head), Giving up/Suicide
Ideation (I’ve Had Enough), Internalized Homophobia [or self-hatred] (Dr.
Jimmy).
In fact (keeping with this interpretation), couldn’t Dr. Jimmy  be a song
about gay-bashing.  A queer man who is so uncomfortable with his sexuality
that he gets so drunk to forget himself and acts out in violence.  Also, why
(in the movie) does Jimmy go to the hotel to see the Bell Boy.  Could it be
that Jimmy was in love or lust with the Ace Face?

And if you loved the above interpretation of Quad, you’ll enjoy what I have
to say about Tommy...

First of all, the song “I’m Free” is a coming out of the closet song.  I
don’t have much attachment to my Quadrophenia theory, but there is no denying
that “I’m Free” is a coming out song (not necessarily coming out as a
homosexual, but definitely a coming out song).  “I’m One” from Quad  could
also be considered a coming out song.  And since I’m sure people are going to
have a hard time swallowing my Quad perspective, I won’t comment too much on
Tommy - except the movie.

Tommy the movie is one of the most queerest movies in existence.  You’ve got
to love Ann-Margaret and her bedroom,  Tina Turner and her assistants, Uncle
Ernie!!!, Jack Nicholson trying to sing, Bernie’s Holiday Camp, The groupies
in the Sally Simpson sequence.  Total Camp!

And while we’re on the subject (or while I’m on the subject), what’s up with
the video (and lyrics) for the song “Rough Boys”?  What about the line from
“I Am An Animal” - “I will be immersed, Queen of the fucking Universe?”.  And
why the heck would Pete write a song for Bette Midler?  "And I Moved" is an
incredibly homoerotic song.  It is to Pete's credit that he can write and
sing this song and not really care what people think.

What is the song “Ask Yourself” (from Another Scoop) about?

And finally, I own a copy of the February 1994 copy of Playboy -- the one
with the Anna Nicole Smith spread (and much more important the one with the
Pete interview).  Everyone believes ME when I say "I read Playboy for the
articles!"