Re: Gay Who Fans

Actually, that interpretation of Quad sounds perfectly legit to me.
Whatever Townshend did or did not say in some famous radio interview
about being bisexual and which Timothy White may or may not have
misquoted out of context, I think a healthy dose of sexual anxiety sits
at the heart of Townshend's work and particularly Quad (Is it me for a
moment?).  If you doubt that Townshend has at least considered going
the other way, just listen to the first stanza of "How Many
Friends." I'm also glad you brought up "Ask Yourself," an interesting
tape-loop experiement from Scoop II in which Pete repeats the line, "Do I
really love this man?"  One of the things I would add, however--and this
is particularly true in the case of Tommy--is that many of Townshend's
most searching moments as re: sexual identity are also AT THE SAME TIME
deeply religious explorations about *spiritual* identity.  Perhaps it has
something to do with his participation in the Meher Baba cult, but
whenever Townshend writes of religious experience it is vaguely
or even overtly homoerotic.  "And I Moved" and "Don't Let Go The Coat"
come to mind.  But this kind of thing has a long and distinguished
history.  I refer you to John Donne's deeply moving, and deeply
disturbing, religious sonnet, "Batter My Heart Three-Personed God, For
You," in which Donne imagines himself as a bride and God as a groom
who--are you ready for this--storms the bride's boudoir and rapes
him/her.  "Take me to you," Donne writes to his God, "imprison me, for I
/ Except you enthral me, never shall be free, / Nor ever chaste, except
you ravish me."  Sounds like Pete, sort of.