re Whom is the Who

Scott, Re:

> I cast my vote for "No Pete = No Who".

Fine.

But just to see that others might have difficulties with that simple a formula
like yours, consider the following (hypothetical) cases:

   (1)  Roger and John tour together with Pete and a drummer.  However, to take
   care of Pete's hearing problems, the electric guitar is barely audible in
   the mix.

   (2)  Roger and John tour together with Pete and a drummer.  Pete only plays
   acoustic, so they have an additional electric guitarist.

   (3)  Roger and John tour together with Pete, a guitarist and a drummer.
   Pete plays keyboards only.

   (4)  Roger and John tour together with a drummer and a guitarist recommended
   by Pete.  Pete appreciates the tour in public and urges old and new fans to
   go and see The Who.

   (5)  Roger and John tour together with a guitarist and a drummer.  Pete
   doesn't care.

   (6)  Roger and John tour together with a guitarist and a drummer.  Pete
   publicly calls them a `cabaret act'.

So, in which case is the band still The Who?  And in which case is there `no
Pete'?

Bernd   ---   `The simple things you see are all complicated...'