Re: Who IS The Who

AThos, Re:

> So in a similar vein, Ringo Starr and George Harrison could get, say Julian
> Lennon (who sounds and even LOOKS like his dad) and Mike McGear (Paul
> McCartney's brother) and BE The Beatles?  Is that what you're saying?

I'm everything but a Beatles fan, and I don't know the clans of that bands'
members, so it's hard for me to give a competent answer here.

Let's rather consider the general case:  Some members of a well-known band tour
with some other good performers, using their old band name.  They just
reproduce their old stuff for having fun together with their old and new fans,
and, of course, for making profit.

Some purists among you say:  Hey, they are cheating, they are no longer the
band they pretend to be by using that name!  I say:  Who cares?  If you do not
only want to enjoy the same old songs in concert, but also see the same old
faces, well, then stay at home.  I think that you will miss a lot of fun with
that attitude...

Of course, there might be different interpretations of what `some members of a
well-known band' are.  How many members are sufficient for using the old name?
Which members should it be?  Certainly some line-ups might look rather
ridiculous if compared with the past, but as long as they show great
performances, why should I care?  I would roar with laughter a whole week long
if Kenney Jones toured with some unknowns as `The Who', but I would go to see
any of their concerts within reach (up to about 200 miles away, say) :-).

Anyway, a critic may have an excellent judgement of what is art and what is
not, but it's not at all his/her task to name an artist's work...  So, lighten
up, purists - and enjoy the concerts we get...

Cheers,

Bernd