Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #208

> From: Mark Sandage Estep <estep@nicom.com>
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 01:09:04 -0700
> Subject: Lifehouse MSG
>
> To whom it may concern,
> I've been on the Internet for less than a week, so if I blow the protocal
> someone let me know. I have a few questions:
> 1) Pete talked on E! about the Quad shows being "a multimedia
> spectacular." Does anyone have a clue what he means? Am I to look forward
> to the Lifehouse on 32nd St. or should I expect the usual with a few
> motorcycles thrown in? Personally, I demand the Universal Grid.

Projections, actors, etc.   Reviews are starting to come in.

> 2) The Guitar World is out today and Pete talks about the Supper Club
> Gig.
>   a) Had I been on this mailing list would I have heard about the gig
> before hand?

Yep.

>   b) How can I get a review and set list?

Back issues are available for anonymous FTP from ftp.igtc.com in
/pub/pmm/thewho.

> 3) Rumour has it that MSG has held this space for a year? Didn't anyone
> tell John? He apparently has had some gigs he had to cancel. At least one
> in Richmond, Va. that I know of.

No sabe.

> 4) Which side of MSG is the stage going to be on? 31st or 33rd?

No sabe.  The end where sections 115-ish and 215-ish are.  Also,
presumably, the loading dock.  Seating chart available at
http://www.ticketmaster.com/directory/venues/ny1/63/seat1.html.

>------------------------------------
>
> From: Ray Schweighardt <rainman@buttercup.cybernex.net>
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 11:48:21 -0400
> Subject: In With The Promotor and 7 Years of Contact Building
>
> Now me, I've spent 7 years establishing relationships with slimy sub-human
> ticket "brokers" who gouge money out of fans to line their own slimey
> pockets.  My relationship is this: They say "who needs tickets" and I say
> "choke on 'em, scalper scum".  For 7 years I've been doing this just WAITING
> for this moment.

You apparently have yet come to terms with the fact that tickets for
many events are priced below the market.  Let's ignore for the moment
the fact that scalpers may indeed misjudge the market and wind up
losing money on their tickets.  Let's say they sell every one at their
asking price.  All this means is that a willing buyer and a willing
seller have gotten together and made a trade.  That is obviously the
market value of the ticket.  Would you feel any better if the promoter
priced the top tickets at the prices the scalpers charge, since the
tickets will clearly sell at or near that price, and have the promoter
and the band get the money?

> ------------------------------
>
> From: sharkbait@JUNO.COM (Mike Schmidt)
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 09:46:00 PST
> Subject: Re: 1st Who show
>
> It was April 19, 1980 at Oakland Coliseum in CA. Roger was strutting in
> circles and checking himself in the mirror after each set throughout the
> show. What the heck was going on? Must've been the red ufo blotters.
> Insane Who experience was at the Capital Centre in MD on Sept. 23rd,
> 1982. Another story altogether. Maybe later.
>
> Mike

If it's up to the standards of the first story, I can hardly wait.

> From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 14:00:23 -0400
> Subject: Re: 1st Who show
>
> For those who have seen this story before, I beg indulgence...
>
> It was at Greensboro, NC 11/28/75. My first Who concert. The show I'd been
> waiting for. I'd seen other heavyweights before (Zep that Spring, in fact)
> but this was the big one.
> Toots And The Mayalls opened. They sucked. Waste of time.

I saw that tour in Houston.  Big thumbs-up on your evaluation of Toots.

> The stage was dark. The crowd was semi-milling. No annoucement.
> A spotlight came on, transfixing Pete in mid-leap. He hit the stage and the
> first chord of I Can't Explain at the same time...the crowd goes crazy...the
> lights go up as Keith and John come in, still no Roger onstage. He suddenly
> comes running out as if he isn't going to stop at the edge of the
> stage...sings the first verses, throws the mike into the air, turns and
> speaks to Keith, catches the mike without even looking up, and sings the
> next bit...
> I was already blown away, and we were only 30 seconds into the show...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

> During the TOMMY segment (much shorter than on the KC show 3 days later),
> they had the laser light show.

I remember that, too, the interlacing green lasers like on the synth
break in WGFA in "The Kids Are Alright."  Due to my way-crappy seats I
was looking _down_ on the lasers for most of it.  I have amused myself
ever since with thinking of how great it must have looked from the
floor seats.

> Drowned was the only song from QUAD (my only
> disappointment), and Rog dedicated it to the people in the front row. I
> leapt every time Townshend did. Daltrey had us sing along to Squeeze Box.

Yep, Squeeze Box.  My least favorite Who song ever, I believe.

> Keith made a great joke about going off to have a smoke (also on KC). They
> did Roadrunner/MG Blues. I lost my voice by the end, from screaming.

I remember a chilling extended version of Magic Bus.  Don't remember
the state of my voice at the end, though.

My first Who shows was November 23, 1973, Dallas.  Sorry I don't have
time to go into details, but I've posted it before.
- --
Alan McKendree        amck@eden.com        512-478-9900 x206
Adhesive Media, 101 W. 6th St., Ste. 210, Austin, TX   78701