More English newsSun Dec 7 13:25:10 PST 1997

Firstly, I have also noticed that I seem to be one of the only "English
Boys" posting regularly to this list.  As far as I can remember, there are
half a dozen or so up and down the country.  Personally, I tend to post
regularly because I have access to the University email system.  Every student
has cost free email and internet(WWW) access.  This is very rare in England,
so goes some way to explaining why there are not as many listers.  Secondly,
I get the impression that although the internet IS widespread in the UK,
it is not used as much as the US.  I don't know if this has something to
do with cost?  The status of The Who in the UK in England has not been great
until recent years.  They have come in for a lot of flack from the press
and the general public.  I'm sure that most people see The Who as "the guy
with the big nose who smashes guitars," "the guy from the credit card adverts
and Buddy's Song," and "the other one."  Although they are very popular,
in the fact that most people have got at least one Who record (usually "Who's
better Who's best"), they are not publically "cool."  This was shown by
the appalling treatment of the back catalogue (until now), and the lack
of books in print (Although this is getting better).  There are many fans
around.  Take for example last year's Who convention.  The 500 tickets sold
out very quickly.  1000s of people equally turned up for
the 1989 shows. (including me, aged 13!)  It is great to see some action.
The new CDs are great, the Tommy musical has been promoted extremely well,
and the Quadrophenia/Hyde Park gig looks set to be HUGE!

Just a thought.

Tim

P.S I have read that the Hyde Park gig WILL be filmed and televised in the
    UK a few days later.  More info as it comes.