Re: cross-post

> > The following was posted to alt.music.lyrics--
> > Sender: oatc@netcom16.netcom.com
> >
> > Hey, don't get me wrong.  I love Pete Townshend's music; always have,
> > always will.  But some of his songs, specifically on his "Empty Glass"
> > album, got me wondering...
>
>  If Pete is bi, he's bi. For some reason, I remember this was big
>  when he was doing that radio interview where he said that, in my
>  words, something about his womanly side.
>
>  Its hard to say, and i dont want to get into a debate about female
>  and male roles in society, but I have to give Pete Townshend
>  the "Balls" award for speaking whatevers on his mind and not being
>  afraid of any body thinking what he meant about any comments or
>  any lyrics that he wrote.
>
>  Pete rules. Down to earth mofo that doesnt snub. Whatever he does
>  or says if fine with me. I thank him for the music, and the way
>  I feel after hearing it. I listen to the songs and hear it my
>  way . I dont get so so into it that I have to deciphre if he
>  meant he was gay, bi, or straight.
>
>  Maybe he was writing songs to equal out EVERYONES sexuality.
>
>  Are there no gay Who fans ? Well, they can relate, possibly, just
>  like I as a heterosexual, would relate more to the Girl+Guy
>  songs.

Here's a queer Who fan.

When I saw that quote from Pete about his "womanly side" I was excited
and a little confused.

I was excited since I really get into the music of Pet and the Who.
I was coming out at the time and for Pete to acknowledge his
bi-ness was just really cool.

I was confused at how he attributed this to knowing how it is
to be a woman.  That butch/femme-man/woman stuff is a little old
and out of touch with the real world but it's not my place to
say how he should define his sexuality or emotions.

The upsetting part was Roger's comments afterwards.  Roger claims
to have not known about Pete's relations with other men.  Does
anyone buy this?  British male rocker stars all had fluid
sexuality during the '70s.  Rod Stewert, Elton John, David Bowie,
Mick Jagger.   And Pete too.  So Roger, spending all that time with
Pete--in the studio, on the road--never knew that Pete slept with
men once in a while?

I'm always trying to decipher Pete's lyrics for just about everything.
The best part about his music is that you never know when he's singing
a song about himself or just creating a fictional character.
The vagueness of the music contributes to the mass appeal.

Marc

SCARLET AND GrAY
mconte@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu