Tommy vs Tommy

Hi All,

Doug Shatford was asking about our opinions on the original Tommy vs
the Broadway production.  Lets just say I like both.

The original Tommy came out when I was about 3 (sory to the older Who
fans who remember the day it came out and ran to the store to get it).
My first memories from Tommy are from when the Movie came out and
the radio was playing the Elton John version of Pinball Wizard.  At that
point I love the song and I was aware that a band called The Who also
did a version of it. (Boy was I young,  I also remember my older brother
(by 6 years) forcing me to listen to Squeeze Box.)  As I grew I got my
apreciation for "good" music (even though I still love the "bad" 70's
music I grew up on).  By the time I was in High School I was a big Who
fan (among others).

When I heard that Tommy was coming to Broadway I couldn't wait.  ( I
work in lovely Time Square surrounded by Broadway theaters.  The theater
is just down the block from my office, but I haven't seen Pete at all).
The day the box office opened I was there buying tickets for me and some
friends.  My best friend is one of those people who knows all the words
to every song ever written (along with the licence plates for all of
his friends cars - scary hun?).  I was so psyched to see it.  We sat
there duing the ovature and the crowd was going wild.  It was like being
at a concert.  And the show stared.  As you all know (or should know by
now) there are some lyic changes.  Adam and I were sitting there just
singing along and they change the words on us.  We give eachother puzzled
looks and keep singing.  It was different, but the more I think about it
I understand the changes.  I like it because it was Pete's hands that
did the updating.  If he wasn't involved I would probably taken the aditude
of why are they touching this wonderful piece of work?  Pete has grown
and so has the work.  Also, it is now for a broader audience.

Anyway, that's my $.02.  Also having a signed copy of the Broadway soundtrack
also helps.

Take care,

Rachael Robins