Re: The Creation

Carl.Biancucci@proteon.com e-orated:
>Gene Hopstetter (gene@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu) e-orated:

>> I just read this in _The Book of Rock Lists_ under the heading "10 Favorite
>> Bands of the Mods." The number three band is:
>>
>> "The Creation -- [whose] lead guitarist Eddie Phillips was so flash that
>> Pete Townshend asked him to join The Who."
>>
>> Did Phillips and Pete ever record together? Did they play live?
>
> Did Phillips and Pete ever record together? Did they play live?
> ---> Wasn't Ronnie Wood involved with the Creation?    - Carl -
>       P.S. The Creation were pretty good,from what few tunes
>       I've heard.

Here's some info on The Creation which I had saved from USENET NEWS:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll.oldies
From: Geoff@gepo.demon.co.uk (Geoffrey Pollard)
Subject: Re: The Creation

Quoting from Pete Frames Rock Family Trees (Kinks Stones Pretties)
we get this:-

Creation #1 - ....Shel Talmy and Tony Stratton Smith got to grips
with them, brought in Bob Garner and changed their name to
Creation. As pop art mod maniacs they blazed a trail with
brilliantly theatrical stage act (incorporating spray painting,
burnings, feedback, bowed guitar etc) and stunning music."Our
music is red - with purple flashes!" said Eddie Phillips who was
a phenomenal guitarist - so good that Pete Townshend asked him to
join the Who as second guitarist (This is true). Phillips being
loyal stuck with Creation who almost made it twice, Making Time
got to #49 (UK 7 Jul 1966) and Painter Man (as done by Boney M)
got to #36 (UK 3 Nov 1966)...

Band listed as Bob Garner (b&v), Eddie Phillips (g), Jack Jones
(d), Kenny Pickett (v) and Kim Gardner (b). May 66 - Feb 68.

Creation #2 ..Phillips and Garner left and (Ron) Wood (the same)
joined for a last ditch tour of Germany where Creation were huge.
Cut a few more tracks before calling it a day.

Band listed as Jones (d), Pickett(v), Gardner (b&v), Ron Wood
(g&v). March 68 - June 68.

Gardner went off to Ashton Gardner and Dyke (bleah). Ron went
to....

Boris refers to "How Does it Feel". I think this should be "How
does it Feel to Feel". According to other sources its on an Edsel
album released in 82. Edsel being a reissue source most of the
time I suspect that this would be a TLC repackaging job by them.

However it neednt be. Maybe we have two groups. Terry Hounsome's
Rock Record has all the Creation stuff listed together. His list
ends with an album/cd "Sneetches Sometimes That's all we have" (no
typos honest). This was released in 89 on Creation (UK). I cant
believe the original band members got back together for this. So
did we have a second Creation and if so which one did the song?

>From sharknas_s@msb.flint.umich.edu Mon Jan 24 09:57:51 CST 1994
Article: 1843 of alt.rock-n-roll.oldies
From: sharknas_s@msb.flint.umich.edu (Steve Sharknas)
Subject: Re: The Creation (second attempt to reply)

The Creation was certainly one of the better British Mod groups, sadly
underappreciated at the time.  They, along with The Fleur De Lys,
The Action, The Thoughts, The Sorrows, and The Eyes, released a lot of good
stuff in the latter half of the '60s.

Ron Wood and Kim Gardner came to The Creation from The Birds, some of whose
tracks have been reissued by Edsel. Eddie Phillips, Kenny Pickett, and Jack
Jones were 3/4ths of The Mark Four before changing their name to
The Creation. Eva records of France released a compilation of Mark Four and
Creation tracks.  The Mark Four contributions are especially interesting as
you can hear an R&B group developing into a Mod goup with its own distinctive
sound. I think a couple of tracks, namely "Tango" and "Baby What's Wrong" are
by another group entirely though Eva claims otherwise. There's also a
possibility that yet another group was mistakenly included in the Eva
package. Does anyone know for sure, if this was ever sorted out?

I'm not certan what the confusion over "How Does It Feel" is about. I have
the song on "The Creation '66-'67" lp released by Charisma in '73. However,
I do have one source which lists the single as "How Does It Feel To Feel"
and that phrase is a part of the lyrics.

-Jim

--
***************** ujhennin@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Jim Henning) **********************
       "Keith Richards once sent me a letter after reading one of my