No Subject

------

Bagley a study in determination

                       By Peter May, Globe Staff, 07/24/98

                       The basic marketing summer school course at Boston College was only a few sessions old
                       last month when the e-mails starting flowing to professor Nick Nugent.

                       The student in the front row, the one with the beard sprinkled with gray specks, looked
                       familiar to many in the class of 46. Nugent got a chuckle as he read one e-mail that cut right to
                       the point: ''Is it Bags or not?''

                       It was.

                       As a basketball player at Boston College and in the NBA, John Bagley was impossible to
                       ignore for a variety of reasons, ranging from height (small) to weight (large) to ability
                       (plenty). He's no less noticeable now, back at BC in search of his undergraduate degree after
                       a 16-year hiatus. Nugent, a longtime Celtics fan, and many of the 3,484 students enrolled in
                       BC's summer school recognized him instantly.

                       Bagley left Boston College in 1982 after his junior year, 12 courses shy of a sociology
                       degree. He'll complete three courses this summer and hopes to have his degree by this time
                       next year. He is living in Hyde Park with his sister Patricia, a third-grade teacher in the
                       Boston school system, and his nephew Samir. He has left his two children, their mother, and
                       his life running a printing business in Elgin, Ill., to come back and finish what he began as a
                       recruit out of Bridgeport, Conn., in 1980.

                       ''To me, if I was going to go back to school, this is where I wanted to go,'' he said. ''It's all
                       right here. It's to be done.''

                       Bagley is following in the footsteps of BC teammate Jay Murphy and Bruin Steve Heinze,
                       both of whom picked up their degrees in May. ''I'm really jealous of Jay,'' Bagley said.
                       ''He's at the end. That's where I want to be.''

                       Bagley, 38, deliberately reentered academia at a slow pace, recognizing it would take him a
                       while to get reacquainted.

                       ''He had been out of the system for a while, and you could sense that early on,'' Nugent
                       said. ''He was a little shaky on the midterm, but he ended up getting an A-minus. It was a
                       pleasure to have him in my class. He has a real good sense for the way business works.''

                       Bagley said the adjustment has been eased by the lack of distractions, be they business,
                       family, or basketball. He is a student with a capital S. While he does hang out at the gym to
                       talk to the coaches and players, he understands why he is here.

                       ''I have an opportunity to come back and I can really put in the time I'd like to put into it,''
                       Bagley said. ''Being back opens up many worlds. I think of biology, chemistry, and math,
                       areas I excelled in coming into college. I've always had an interest in that. When you come
                       back, you realize the more information you get, the better you can be of service.''

                       Asked if it was harder for him this time around, he said, ''Some things are. But not
                       everything. Having the enthusiasm is not hard. When I find myself in the library researching
                       stuff, there's a newfound excitement, kind of a rejuvenation. I'm truly excited. The only
                       thing I find [hard] is that you only have so many classes, so many hours, so it's pretty
                       intense. You try to make everything fit, and it gets a little challenging at times.''

                       While at BC the first time around, Bagley said he was a committed student who nonetheless
                       realized after his sophomore year that he was destined for the NBA. ''I knew things were
                       going to happen [in basketball] and I really began to push myself in that area,'' he said. He
                       was named the Big East Player of the Year in 1981 and led the Eagles in scoring in each of
                       his three seasons. He came out early and was taken 12th overall by Cleveland.

                       Over the next 12 years, Bagley played 665 games for the Cavaliers, Nets, Celtics, and
                       Hawks. But he never made it back to BC in the offseason to take a course or two. ''My book
                       was filled every summer with things to do for youth,'' he said, mentioning a foundation in
                       Bridgeport and the Bagley Bunch in New Jersey, which helped kids in the inner city. He
                       hasn't been in the league since a cameo (13 minutes over three games) for Atlanta in
                       December 1993.

                       The NBA encourages all its players to go back to school to get their degrees. The league has a
                       program, run by Northeastern's Center for the Study of Sport in Society, which helps roster
                       players continue their schoolwork during the season. Last season, according to center director
                       Richard Lapchick, there were 101 roster players in the program.

                       Bagley's objective is still to coach, although he understands that won't happen until, or
                       possibly unless, he does get a degree. Two years ago, Quinnipiac College in Hamden,
                       Conn., announced it was going Division 1. Bagley talked to the school's athletic director,
                       former BC track coach Jack McDonald, about taking over the basketball program. Bagley
                       said the message he got from McDonald was that a degree was a prerequisite.

                       ''I understand that,'' Bagley said. ''You're dealing with young men, and institutions want to
                       make sure you set an example, be a role model.''

                       McDonald recalled advising Bagley to get his degree but added that not having one wouldn't
                       eliminate him as a candidate. Quinnipiac eventually hired Joe DeSantis, who had been a Big
                       East assistant at St. John's and Pittsburgh.

                       ''In our business, you're as much an educator as a coach, so it's helpful to have a degree,''
                       McDonald said. ''But John also didn't have any experience in Division 1, and I think that
                       was more the reason.''

                       While preferring to coach at the collegiate level, Bagley nevertheless made calls to former
                       teammates Kevin McHale (Minnesota) and Larry Bird (Indiana) to inquire about coaching
                       possibilities with the Timberwolves and Pacers. He called Golden State general manager
                       Garry St. Jean, who was with Bagley in New Jersey. Nothing materialized.

                       He also called Rick Pitino to inquire about the recently filled assistant's opening with the
                       Celtics.

                       ''I could think of no other team that I would want to be involved with. It would have been
                       super,'' Bagley said of the Celtics, with whom he spent four up-and-down seasons. ''I was
                       discouraged a little at first. I really felt like I was the type of person a coach would love to
                       have.''

                       Frank Catapano, Bagley's longtime agent, said his client was one of the smartest people he
                       has ever represented and would be a strong coaching candidate. ''As a player, he combined
                       the physical and the intellectual,'' Catapano said. ''Most guys have one or the other.''

                       Bagley's game plan is to help the BC basketball program this season, absorbing what he can
                       from the coaches while imparting what he knows to the players. It sounds like the ideal
                       trade-off, and it's one he will gladly make before and after he hits the books.

                       That still comes first.

This story ran on page E01 of the Boston Globe on 07/24/98.
                       © Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.