Re: Pitino on Mercer's toughness?

That's

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 damekmo@teleport.com wrote:

> I could be totally mistaken about this...just to be sure, let me put it
> this way. At the end of last season, in an interview, Pitino said that
> Mercer had to work a couple things. I think this was in the Globe, or it
> could've been in a "Sportsline" or "TSN" team report. I think, if I
> remember correctly, Pitino said that Mercer had to work on his shooting
> range, and get tougher? No? I should've saved the article. Anybody remember
> this?
>
> Paul M

That could very well be, however, that doesn't mean he's a patsy.  I'd
like to see all our players get tougher, but I think he showed that he is
tough.  I recall him playing with bandaids over an eye, stitches and that
awfully hard tackle by Popeye, where he landed on his hip.  Pitino could
have meant get tougher as far as clearing out for position, driving to
the hoop, or defending his man.  I think he can get better in each of
those areas, but I still think he *is* tough and hope that he gets
tougher.  I think his shooting is fine, but hope that he improves his range.

Cecil