Re: Matt Geiger

-----Original Message-----
From: Noah P. Evans <ishbak@conknet.com>
To: Demetre-da-phat-dawg <demetre-da-phat-dawg@mailtag.com>;
celtics@igtc.COM <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Friday, July 10, 1998 3:21 AM
Subject: RE: Matt Geiger

>How does he have little talent? Elaborate. Geiger is a good shooter out to
>22 feet, rebounds well(9-10 a game), and can finish off feeds. That's more
>than most NBA centers can attest to.

I don't know where you're finding these numbers, but they are certainly
*NOT* the same numbers the NBA has for Geiger.  In actuality, he averaged
6.7 rpg last year, which brings his career average up to 5.7rpg.  He did
average 11.3 ppg last year which elevated his career scoring average up to
8.9 ppg.

The back injury he suffered last season most definitely will not make him
any more nimble then he is already.  In other words, he ain't that mobile to
begin with, comprendez?

Between DQ and Travis, they combined for 11.9 ppg and 9.7 boards.  While
this is hardly a glowing compliment, it may paint a more accurate portrayal
of Geiger's true worth.

I'm sure you will respond Noah.  Don't let me down. :-)

Cecil

>> geiger is a guy that is a mediocre rebounder at best,
>
>How do you support this conclusion? Geiger, when given the starting
>position, grabbed ~10 rebounds in the front court with Mason, an excellant
>rebounder.
>
>>he may have the
>> size at center, but he not a shot-blocker, basically his defense is
>> poor,
>
>It's foolish to equate poor shotblocking with poor defense. Geiger may not
>block shots but he bangs and fights for position well. He's not
>aweinspiring, like his teammate mason, playing post defense but he's
>competant and the celtics need that.
>
>>Matt is slow, and he cannot compete with the better centers in the
>> NBA.
>
>Yes but he can abuse the Ervin Johnson's and Mccillvanes of the league and
>his jumper will keep the shotblockers from camping in our lane. That's
>better than Celtics could do before. Great centers are almost impossible to
>come by. Geiger may be the only solution.
>
>>Matt Geiger would not fit in our system at all, he is not a guy
>> that runs the floor well, and his defense alone would make him not a
>> good choice for us.
>
>Geiger has run the floor well when I have seen him. As for his work on the
>press, I(and probably Pitino) could overlook some error on his presswork if
>he battleaxes whoever got past him(which, again, is more than we can say
>now). See my response earlier in this posts regarding his defense.
>
>>Matt geiger doesnt even have a good shot, and he is
>> mediocre at the free throw line.
>
>Again I ask you for basis for your conclusions. Everything I have seen
>contradicts them.
>
>> On top of all this, he has a crappy
>> attitude, he gets injured, and he DOESNT want to come here.
>
>Questions about his attitude and health are warrented, but when asked
Geiger
>has said, to paraphrase, "I'll probably be with the celtics next season".
>
>>Matt geiger
>> isnt even a starter and Rick wants him, I cant understand this. The fact
>> that Falk owes Rick a favor is FUCKING BULLSHIT, in fact Rick owes him
>> favors.
>
>How does Pitino owe Falk favors? Pitino has repeatedly steered his players
>at Kentucky toward Falk as well as acting as a mediator between Falk and
>Toronto. Sounds like Falk owes Pitino a favor to me.
>
>>So i will ask you, why pay 4-6 million for this guy, when we
>> havent even taken care of the Walker situation,
>
>Geiger's signing has no bearing on whether Walker resigns or not. If
>anything it would be better to sign Geiger before Walker. That way Walker
>would know that he would have a better team next year, that might persuade
>him to take less money.
>
>>Just because he has
>> size doesnt mean shit.
>
>It doesn't? I recall the Nets drafting Yinka Dare. If Yinka was a guard, he
>wouldn't have been drafted. So size counts for something.
>
>> European players have size but they cant
>> contribute to our team.
>
>Zydrunas Illgauskas proved himself to be a pretty nice center out of
Europe.