RE: GM dealing !

On Thursday, July 09, 1998 10:46 PM, Noah P. Evans
[SMTP:ishbak@conknet.com] wrote:

> > Here is an idea if Walker won't be resigned:
> >
> > 1.  If Jerry West wants Travis give him Travis & Barros for Eddie Jones
&
> > Sam Jacobson,  Rueben Patterson &/or Mario Bennett.
>
> Eddie Jones is too high a caliber player(in the mind of the public
anyway)
> for this trade to work.

This is possible but he has been offered on several deals & Shaq wants some
faces to change, maybe is was mainly van Exel & Campbell, but being a free
agent at year end they need to make him happy.

> > 2. Chances are very good due to the small market Minnesota will
> > not resign
> > Marbury with Garnett's salary..  Trade Anderson for Marbury Mchale gets
> > comparable point with less salary (in the long run) and doesn't
> > lose him to
> > FA without compensation , we get the best young point in the
> > league.  If we
> > have to move Walker instead,  do it.  Make Marbury your franchise
player.

> If Gaston doesn't want to pay Walker how's he going to pay Marbury?

Top notch points & centers are difficult to come by. It is not he doesn't
want to pay him, it is just it is too risky for a player who has not shown
he is a team player to risk the next 6-10 years on.

> > 3. Move Walker for Rahim (with he or Pierce to be moved later),
 Lorenzen
> > Wright & draft picks,  or Vin Baker
>
> These are more realistic possibilities. Will Walker, with Falk's aversion
> Canada, report on a trade to Canada? Just a thought. Wright would be nice
as
> well

Good point I really don't see Walker going anywhere unless the team knows
they can sign him or just looking to free up cap room for next year.

.

> > 4. Sign Michael Stewart via FA at a $3-$4m range
>
> Foolish and unlikely. Stewart is a wonderful shotblocker, but a poor
> defender(He's like a rich man's Keith Closs, a shotblocker without the
bulk
> to defend the post). Stewart also leaves his feet too much. A good
> developmental player for less cash, but at that salary he risks becoming
the
> second coming of Travis Knight capwise. Will he leave his hometown,
> Sacremento? Remember he lives with his parents.

Money talks. He would be a perfect fit for the Celtics who don't need a
scoring center.  He has a way too go but when you talk about guys like
Macilvaine & Geiger making $5M-$7M a year or more he seem reasonable. Give
him some time with Bill Walton and his game will improve, the athleticism
is there and you can't teach that.