Re: Roger's Stuttering

----- Original Message ----- From: "Schrade, Scott"

> I don't mind the "muh-muh-muh-muh-my-my" stutter, but it *is* a bit
> overused by Daltrey.  I believe he started it in the early '70s & used
> it off & on thereafter.  Going from memory, I think he employs it on
> the '73 KBFH boot.
>
> I like his stutter technique on the IOW CD & the Young Vic CD.  Those
> ones are freaky.

I think you're right.  On Live at Leeds and the '69 Amsterdam boot the
stutter is on the G in generation, like the studio version.  Starting with
Isle of Wight the stutter is almost always on the word "my".  And, yes,
those earlier "my" stutters are different and somehow more interesting.  By
the time you get to the '80s you get a very bland attempt that has turned
into a sing-songy line.  It's actually got a tune that you can hum!  I think
Roger changed it because it's easier to sing , or I should say you actually
*can* sing it.  The original is a pause in the flow.  You can't *sing*
"g-g-g-g-g".  The whole song has been emasculated, for this and other
reasons.  My Generation should not just be a song that is played and sung
like any other.  It needs to be frightening.  I think they've gone a long
way to restoring its balls in recent years, but I'd still like the
stuttering put back in.  Jo, could you call Roger and tell him I like it the
original way, since you made him change it in the first place?  Maybe next
time you see him in one of your dreams!

By the way, that little guitar lick that Pete plays right before Roger
chimes in with "People try to..." on Live at Leeds is fantastic. That's not
there on all live versions.  Doesn't anyone have anything to say about the
studio version?  That was our homework, right?  I'm embarassed to say I
don't have the album on CD but I'd love to hear some opinions.  I was a
little put off when I heard that there's a guitar track missing from the
re-mastered stereo version.  Can anyone tell me more?  Is the mono version
complete?

> Then, of course, there's his use of "bloody" & "fuckin'" - as in "I'm
> not tryin' to cause a bloody/fuckin' big sensation!"  Those are always
> fun!  ;-)

Yes, I like that.  Next up, Baba O'Riley; Why does Roger sing "no, no, no,
no, no" after "I don't need to be forgiven" live, when the studio version is
"yeah, yeah, yeah...?"

Jim M