Re: Part II

I enjoyed Part II, especially the part about "cosmic balances."  But,
if, as you say, any crack-down on child porn "will not slow the demand
one bit," then even Pete's impassioned plea via 'A Different Bomb' will
have zero effect on stemming the tide.

Therefore, Pete will forever owe the "cosmic balance" $29.95.  The pay-
ment has been made, the money is gone.  Pedophiles will always exist &
there will always be a demand for child porn.

Whether it's eradicated from the internet or not makes no difference at
all.
But Pete made an effort to publicize the problem, to educate the public and to make some difference. He advised ways to protect children from finding porn. In the cosmic balance, it's the effort that counts and not the result.

But now something else has happened, and we're still seeing it in process. There's something else Pete does that's part of his magic or his aura, or whatever. He subconsciously maniuplates the fabric of space/time. He can feel the path to what he wants. It's like he's swung the whole weight of The Who, and his own legend, just like he'd swing a guitar to smash something he doesn't like. And he's done that by leaving his credit card number on that site.

Pete didn't get the response he wanted from "A Different Bomb." What he got from the fans who read it seemed to be pretty much silence--there wasn't even much discussion. Nobody knew quite how to take it or what to do about it, and Pete wrote something a little later about being disappointed in the response, like he had hoped people would be inspired to take up the fight because of what he'd written. But he'd already planted the number, and he rode Jimmy's scooter off the cliff without any assurance that we'd be there to catch him. The essay in itself wasn't enough, but when it's Pete at stake, then the fans get their butts in gear.

Smash! It's all over the press, with parts flying, and we'll have to wait to see how it settles out. There's been tons of publicity, and tons of letters written. Even with Bush trying to have a war, it's still at least a lukewarm issue. If you see anything you feel is appropriate, if you have any comments on child porn or the laws or how it could be stopped, then write your congressperson/MP and ask that they follow up. Pester them later on to see if they did follow up. Pete has made a big sacrifice for the issue, and all together, we can make changes.

BTW, People Magazine says it's only $5 that he owes the cosmic balance. ;)

keets