Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #24

At 14:01 -0800 1/26/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:

>Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:09:50 -0500
>From: CAM <carla@rpa.net>
>Subject: Madison Sq Garden Theater
>
>a CD single of him singing with the
>Harlem Boys Choir.

Huh?  Here's a collectible I haven't heard of.  Label, where can we buy
one, etc. etc.?

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:59:23 -0800
>From: "B.W. Radley" <bwradley@earthlink.net>
>Subject: A review of the KM Biography
>
>The book left me with the cold realization that Moon was, in many ways, the
>British Elvis.  Like Elvis, Moon was allowed to spend every penny he earned

Allowed?!?  By whom??  It was HIS MONEY!  Secondly, as Fletcher documents,
Keith was happy to assault the very people he charged with taking care of
his money if they wouldn't give hime some when he wanted it.  Your casual
suggestion that his own money be rationed out to him would require (in the
US, at least, and I trust in England as well) that he be declared
incompetent and a guardian appointed.  IMO, it would have been impossible
for most of his career if not all of it to prove Keith incompetent to run
his own affairs.

>(and then some--it is not coincidental that both Moon and Elvis were much
>better off financially dead than alive), without any serious controls from
>their business management.

Business management are not parent substitutes.  They deducted Keith's
expenses from his share of the take before givnig it to him; that's all the
"serious control" they were legally or morally obliged to undertake.

>While even at their worst, The Who's management could never hold a candle to
>the criminal behavior of Col. Parker, they along with the surviving Who
>members must share a large part of the guilt for allowing this to occur.

Pete has hinted that he feels somewhat guilty for egging Keith on as a
great source of publicity, but I don't believe that he was Keith's keeper,
any more tha Keith was Pete's keeper.  In the words of the title of a very
good play of 25-30 years ago, whose life is it anyway?  People have free
will and Keith chose his way, sad, ultimately, as it was.

>One might be somewhat forgiving of those who's own problems were not
>insignificant (e.g Kit Lambert, PT),

So I can eliminate my responsibility to force someone else to adopt a
certain way of life if I just create a significant number of problems in my
own life?  I don't believe that; if I have a responsibility to make my
neighbor (or my bandmate) stop taking speed then that *is* my
responsibility, regardless of whether I have a term paper due or a heroin
addiction of my own to fight.

but there were certainly individuals in
>this group who still had some hold on reality who should have done more to
>prevent Keith's death.  Why they didn't is the great unanswered question of
>this book.

Probably because each was living their own life according to the early
mod/punk ideal of their songs...to reject arbitrary authority, to live
anyway, anyhow, anywhere, and to let others do the same.  I'm no fan of
anarchy, but this idea that everyone should be subject to intervention in
the conduct of their life and their financial affairs is pretty troubling.

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:39:59 PST
>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: A review of the KM Biography
>
>Roger might have had the right idea early on.  Just beat the shit out of
>him.

This is just an extension of BW's suggestion of forcible intervention.

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:59:01 -0500
>From: "Karyn O'Connor" <koconnor@smtp.importproducts.com>
>Subject: drummers and women
>

>Just another girly Who fan, here to provoke some ire!!

Oddly enough, the most ire you provoked in me came from the HTML-enhanced
version of your message which was appended to the non-HTML version:

> [...]
>The=20
>Who's music, like the original four blokes.&nbsp; I'd have to agree with =
>the=20
>poster who stated that Kenney's style was more jazz oriented than the =
>all-out=20
>rock that The Who are famous for.&nbsp; As for Simon, at the time I =
>thought that=20
>he was a fair replacement for Keith, however now I'm realizing that =
>while his=20
>playing is good, it's formulaic and by-the-book.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>So my vote is for Zak, but what do I =
>know about=20
>drumming :))</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Unfortunately most of the women that =
>I know=20
>couldn't even name a Who song, never mind like them.&nbsp; But that goes =
>for the=20
>guys too, although there are a few more guys I know that at least know =
>some of=20
>their songs.&nbsp; No matter to me, I know quality rock 'n roll when I =
>hear it,=20
>so let them eat cake!!&nbsp; If everyone was a Who fan, then The Who =
>would be=20
>just another Led Zeppelin....over-rated, over-played, =
>over-glorified.&nbsp;=20
>Seems to me that there are two camps: staunch Zep fans, and staunch Who=20
>fans.&nbsp; (Three, if you count the &quot;Holiday Camp&quot; :))&nbsp; =
>There's=20
>little meeting in between.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Just another girly Who fan, here to =
>provoke some=20
>ire!!</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Long Live Rock,</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=3D2>Karyn</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
>- ------=_NextPart_000_0168_01BE492B.A522DF60--
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:46:17 -0000
>From: "Emmy" <dingbatti@email.msn.com>
>Subject: New Member Alert!!!!
>
>Hello to all!
>
>I'm new to this list, so I thought I'd tell you a bit about myself.
>My name is Emily, I live in a little town called Newent, where only
>people older than me know who The Who are. My Dad used to be a big Who fan,
>but Mam played it so much he now won't even watch Quadrophinia with me. I
>only collect the vinyl albums, my sister has the CDs.
>
>Um, I think that's it. Rant over! Oh, yeah and I met Pete after seeing The
>Who's Tommy
>in London. He hugged me and said I had a good voice! What a compliment!

Singing voice? or speaking?

>What's the main topic at the moment, then?

Keith's biography is toward the top of the list, but I'd like to hear the
story of how you met Pete, myself.

Welcome!

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)