Torn between two definitions...

>(1) He "hates" the Who, but in a passive-aggressive way.  He cannot bury the
>band for good, but is slowly humiliating it, perhaps secretly or
>unconsciously rubbing his hand gleefully as the band turns into a Vegas revue
>
>(2) He wishes to turn the Who into something "new".  Perhaps he actually
>likes the New Who Revue big band, jazzy approach.<<
>
>I tend to agree more with Point 1 than 2.  I don't think Pete in any way
>wants to do the Who anymore.  I think he will do the Who purely when it
>serves his own interests.  He no longer will do it for Roger or John or the
>fans.  To a great extent, the 89 was geared toward Pete.  Like Pete said, he
>picked the band.  And he did stuff from his solo career and he was out
>pushing THE IRON MAN.  Yes, I'm sure he wanted the Who's catalog to get some
>exposure, but the exposure was not in any way an effort to resurrect or
>reshape the Who as an entity that would go on.  The Who is finished.  It
>doesn't exist in real-time.  If Roger is angry with Pete, it may have
>something to do with the fact that Roger can no longer goad Pete into Who
>stuff.  He has no leverage, and that probably bugs Roger a lot because he had
>that leverage for so many years.

Jim:

I think that Pete is torn, actually. He doesn't want to do The Who, but then
again he does. He is certainly under no pressure to do so but his own. HE
wants to reform the band to promote the QUAD remix (and his "best of," no
doubt). So if it exists at all, even for a moment or two here and there, it
is because HE wants to. Otherwise, it wouldn't happen at all.
So while he may not want to do The Who, he also DOES want to. I think that
redefining The Who helps him. It's the "old" Who he doesn't want, and there
is a form of it he could be happy with. Rog and John fight it as long as
they can (wanting the old Who), and give in once in a while. If they really
wanted to, the two of them could mount a joint tour and promote QUAD quite
effectively (don't you think?).
I agree that Rog is most likely angry about this situation. But he does have
a recourse, and so does John. I doubt anyone would fault him for taking that
road...and it could prove interesting.

                   Cheers                   ML