Re: Last Two Albums

>You are confusing commercial success with artistic success.

JJM:

I'm not confusing anything. The word used was "success." Not "artistic
success." Pete, at that point, was no longer trying to achieve artistic
success with The Who (and there are any number of interviews from the time
that say so). He was pursuing his solo career with more vigor, and that's
where he was focused. As has been said here on the Digest, Pete went to the
band and asked what they wanted him to write about. Given Daltrey's track
record, I doubt Townshend was expecting any artistic advice fom him.
Entwistle? I doubt it.

>Using album sales as THE measure of success can be a mistake.

Not in this case.

>Now, I too listen to IH - because I'm a fan but it, along with FD, are the
>forgettable albums in the Who's catalogue.  IH sold well (briefly) but they
>packed it in because they knew it wasn't happening anymore and knew enough
>not to push their luck.

I only half agree. FD along with A QUICK ONE (and not counting MAGIC BUS) IS
pretty forgettable...in light of the other Who albums. On the other hand, if
you want to talk about what (say) The Stones were doing about then...
IT'S HARD is better than anything that side of WHO BY NUMBERS, by virtue of
performance and material.
And exactly what is meant by "briefly?" It sold millions of copies, and is
STILL selling now. I don't work for Atlantic, or even MCA...but you can't
argue with sales. Maybe they were expecting more...although after FD, I
can't see why.
And that is NOT why the band "packed it in," either. Pete wanted to stop
touring and do solo albums. Daltrey and Entwistle wanted to tour. THAT is
why they broke up. Again, any interview from that time will tell you this.

>BTW, according to Chris Charlesworth's The Complete Guide To the Music of The
>Who, IH only reached #8 in the US and #11 in the UK and TOMMY reached #2 in
>the UK only, #4 in the US.

Well, I remember seeing IH entering the charts at #2 at the time. I remember
distinctly because it made me happy for my favorite band. There are many
charts, both US and British, and who knows which were used. The ones that
made the point they were seeking to prove, no doubt.

                   Cheers                   ML