Re: Last Two Albums

>>Glyn Johns is top-notch and I think he achieved a good sound on IH but the
>>failure of the album lies at the feet of the band.
>
>What failure, may I ask? IH entered the charts at # 2, and was called (as I
>recall them saying at the time) the highest charting Who album ever
>(although TOMMY also hit # 2).

You are confusing commercial success with artistic success.  Bands like REO
Speedwagon, Bon Jovi and even Journey were tremendous commercial successes
but will probably be little more than footnotes in the ultimate history of
rock 'n roll.  Question: If you were selected to send one album that best
represented rock 'n roll to a another planet and given the choice between Bon
Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" or "Who's Next" would you send "Slippery When Wet"
just because it sold about 3 or 4  times as many records?  A few million 16
year old girls can make a band "bigger" but not better.
Using album sales as THE measure of success can be a mistake.

Now, I too listen to IH - because I'm a fan but it, along with FD, are the
forgettable albums in the Who's catalogue.  IH sold well (briefly) but they
packed it in because they knew it wasn't happening anymore and knew enough
not to push their luck.

BTW, according to Chris Charlesworth's The Complete Guide To the Music of The
Who, IH only reached #8 in the US and #11 in the UK and TOMMY reached #2 in
the UK only, #4 in the US.

JJM