Re: More speculation and argument on the CD retrospective

Jim, re:

>Fang, the thing to keep in mind, and I feel pretty certain that you have, is

>that much of the "rest of us" don't have your collection.  It's as simple as

>that.  We bitch for what we want from MCA/whoever because we don't have what
you've got.  You've got tons of live "the Who's greatest hits."

Collection aside, I'm simply going by previously released "official" stuff. I
think the original concept behind "Live At Leeds" was good--give 'em
something they don't have and blow them away with it. How many versions of
"Won't Get Fooled Again" do we need? Unless it's really definative or really
different (ie the version on "From Lifehouse To Leeds") I don't want it, do
you? I really don't listen to "live" boots that often as I'm very particular
when it comes to sound quality. A good portion of them, I've only played once
and may never play again. I started "collecting" to get the best sound
quality (not hard to do over MCA's crap) and to have every version of every
song officially released. Of course it got a bit out of hand, but that's
life! I basically have 3 goals for the remastering/remixing project:

1) Clean up the sound quality/bad mix problems

2) Release every unreleased studio song

3) Release diverse & good quality live material

I'd personally like to see live songs played rarely, ie "Time is Passing",
"Relay", "Daddy Rolling Stone" or that sound very different from their studio
counterparts and songs that The Who never released, ie "Hey Joe", "Love
Hurts", etc...

So... there you have it!

wf