Re: Marsh book

>Just my humble opinion on the Marsh book.  If you take it for what it is,
>basically a bio of the who until the early 1970's, it works very well.  Dave
>Marsh is one of the brighter critics around, and his analysis of the music in'
>the book is that more typical of a jazz or classical analysis than a rock
>analysis - I prefer it.  If you're looking for cute, inside stories you
>might look elsewhere...
>
>Marsh has done this a number of times - his books on Springsteen are also
>quite intelligent in musical analysis.  You just have to realize that he
>really feels The Who went downhill after Quad, and were a non-entity after
>Moon's death, a feeling many others share (including Pete on some days, and
>Roger on all days).

Mason:

I've got to agree with you on this one. Whatever faults BIGO may have, it is
still the most complete and detailed book about The Who out there. Barnes'
is great, but a bit sketchy. Some of us want more, and if that means getting
a less than objective opinion along with it, so what? I formed my opinions
on the events that make up the end of the book as they were happening
anyway. I'm sure that's true of most fans. And I believe that you can enjoy
reading something you don't completely agree with.

        Cheers                       ML

NP: Who, "Amazing Journey" Toronto 12/11/75