Marsh book

Just my humble opinion on the Marsh book.  If you take it for what it is,
basically a bio of the who until the early 1970's, it works very well.  Dave
Marsh is one of the brighter critics around, and his analysis of the music in'
the book is that more typical of a jazz or classical analysis than a rock
analysis - I prefer it.  If you're looking for cute, inside stories you
might look elsewhere...

Marsh has done this a number of times - his books on Springsteen are also
quite intelligent in musical analysis.  You just have to realize that he
really feels The Who went downhill after Quad, and were a non-entity after
Moon's death, a feeling many others share (including Pete on some days, and
Roger on all days).

- Mason