JAE in NJ 2/1/96

Hi Who Folk,

I traveled to Northern New Jersey last night to watch JAE in a dinner theatre
setting.  The dinner theatre contract band was not for me and Joni's Butterfly
did the usual good job opening-up with "Made in Japan", a JAE song I understand.

JAE took the stage and at one point said the song selection seemed to be a
"multiple choice" as he read the list of songs he could or could not play.  JAE
was much more Quiet than he was in Lancaster, PA on 1/29.  While he was his
usual jovial self on-stage, he was much more relaxed in Lancaster and
loosey-goosey.  How many shows have the band played in a row now and maybe they
need more of a break?

Not much to say outside of the set list which I think has been posted.  Sound
quality was better here than at Lancaster where the songs turned to noise
periodically.  Volume was raised substantially on Real Me and My Wife.  Vocals
were very difficult to pick-up and were completely inaudible in Had Enough where
they break into the "softer" lyrics.

There were isolated areas of major dancing but considering the dinner theatre
atmosphere, people kinda sat on their hands.

Concerning the bass solo on the last song of the encore, Shaking All Over, SHUT
DOWN THE INTERNET: STOP THE CAR: GET A GRIP: SELL THE HOUSE, DUMP THE SPOUSE AND
KIDS AND GET TO A SHOW.

Pete Townshend would feel outclassed if he had the opportunity to watch the bass
solo during this song.  Pete might be moved to bring back The Who if he saw this
solo.  JAE turned his fingers into flying sausage on the neck of his bass.  I
did not realize a magic moment was forthcoming during this song and after
hearing this thunderous solo, there was no way he was going to return for
another encore.  It was untoppable.  JAE became a magician on this solo but
believe me there was no illusion here.  It was simply magic.  It was pure
THUNDER.  I never thought two hands could be in four places at once or that ten
fingers could be in twenty places at once. "Under a Raging Moon" says "he
brought the thunder down".  After this solo, I believe it was JAE, not Keith who
brought the thunder down.

Off to Baltimore on Saturday for my third and last show of the tour.

Larry