Re: ray davies & the "authentic" who

At 10:18 10/30/95, arthur lizie, jr. wrote:
>our beliefs about what it means to
>listen to the "real" who were challenged, with an opportunity to adapt or
>deny.  seems like a lot of people here deny rather than admit change.  not
>a complaint, just another observation about the myth of authenticity in
>popular music.

Well said.  I've about given up on trying to defend the band's
changes/innovations through the years.  Seems like the gripers want them to
be what they were when the gripers first discovered them, starting with
those who complained about "A Quick One" not following the 2:50 pop single
format, if not before...and of course those who swore off them when Tommy
came out...etc. etc.

I'd much rather live in the present and listen to what Pete, Roger, and
John have to say to me today than bitch because they continued playing
after Keith died.

Alan

"When I'm onstage...it's not like bein' possessed, it's just --
*I* *do* *my* *job*."  -- Pete Townshend