ray davies & the "authentic" who

i saw ray a few weeks ago at a 300-person club and it was one of the most
enjoyable shows (not concerts) i've seen in quite a while.  he segued
readings from his fictional autobiography with an appropriate a mixture of
old kinks tunes and newly written songs.  it was a pleasant change from
the typical run-through of kinks hits and fun to see some good ol' music
hall theatrics in action.  but, like with pete, you have to take
everything ray says with a grain of salt (especially when he, like pete,
just outright lies).

and, as far as the "real" not performing in 1982 or 1989, to say that they
didn't is just a self-serving rationalization.  bands grow (usually their
creativity diminishes) and so do our memories of youth (usually they're
creatively enhanced).  just because some of us (as much as there is an
"us") didn't like those tours (i like 89, didn't like 82) doesn't mean it
wasn't the "real" who - it just means our beliefs about what it means to
listen to the "real" who were challenged, with an opportunity to adapt or
deny.  seems like a lot of people here deny rather than admit change.  not
a complaint, just another observation about the myth of authenticity in
popular music.

arthur